Thursday, June 16, 2011

Recipes lately

I'm taking a break from my St. Louis recap to post some recipes I have tried (and enjoyed!) lately.

Last night I made "Crispy Coconut Chicken Fingers"- taken from here
12 chicken tenders

1-2 eggs (start with one and crack another if it runs out)
1/2 C flour
1 C sweetened coconut flakes
1 C panko bread crumbs
1 tsp garlic powder
3/4 tsp table salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp onion powder


preheat oven to 450 degrees.


Give coconut a rough chop so it's about the same size as the panko pieces.

Combine it with Panko and spices in a shallow dish. Mix well to distribute all of the spices.
Place the flour in another shallow dish, and the egg in another. Give the egg a quick beating.
Working with a few chicken tenders at a time, dredge in flour. Dip in egg, then finally coat in the coconut Panko mixture. Press in with your fingers to make sure the entire thing is well coated.

Place chicken tenders on a foil-lined baking sheet that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. You can drizzle or spray olive oil on top for a crispier tender.


Bake in 450 degree oven for about 20 minutes or until juices run clear. If tenders are on the small side, they could even be done in about 15 minutes. If they're big they can take more like 25. The coconut will be nice and golden and the panko crisp, but light in color still.

I couldn't find Panko crumbs so I used regular bread crumbs.  Silly Walmart.  We didn't make the pineapple sauce because we have tons of HONEY leftover from Lillian's birthday party (remember - I used the honey bears as favors so I now have jars of honey in my pantry!)  Also, I have tried many times to bake chicken and often end up with a dry, tough result.  However, that was NOT the case with these!  They were juicy and I didn't miss that they were baked, not fried.  They were crunchy and tender!



From the same website, I made these 2 weeks ago -
Toasted Ravioli
2 tablespoons milk

1 egg
3/4 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs (this can easily be done by just adding some basil and oregano to some plain bread crumbs)
1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
1/2 (25 ounce) package frozen raviolis (any flavor)
vegetable oil for frying (enough to generously cover the bottom of the pan, but you don't want too much)
grated Parmesan cheese
marinara sauce


Combine milk and egg in a small bowl. Place breadcrumbs and if desired, salt in a shallow bowl. Dip ravioli in milk mixture, then coat with breadcrumbs.


In a large heavy pan, pour oil about an inch deep. Heat oil over medium heat until a small amount of breading sizzles and turns brown. Fry ravioli, a few at a time, 1 minute on each side or until golden. Drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and serve immediately with hot marinara sauce.


I used regular cheese raviolis from Walmart, but they had others.  Even Lilli loved these!  I can never really guage Jason - he says he likes everything, haha.  However, both of these recipes are ones I will keep and try again, so that is why I wanted to share!  Sorry for no pics - they were gone before I could get my camera out! I also made a "summer spaghetti sauce" with peppers and tomatoes - but we didn't really like it so I have already deleted the recipe!  But these would be good appetizers with your normal Italian meal.

Speaking of Italian, I HAVE to add my dad's Bruschetta recipe - coming from my dad, it of course has no measurements - so just use what you would like
Ripe Tomatoes Sliced

• Extra Virgin Olive Oil
• Garlic Salt
• Pepperoni Slices*
• Freshly ground black pepper
• Chopped fresh basil
• Fresh Whole Milk Mozzarella cheese, cut into 1/4 slices (FRESH IS THE KEY!)
• Italian Seasoning
• Chopped Fresh Green Onions*
• Shredded Italian Blend Cheese
• French or Italian bread cut into 3/4 inch slices
• Fresh Grated Parmensan Cheese*
 *Optional


Place the bread on baking sheet; coat with olive oil and sprinkle Italian Seasoning.
Place under broiler till toasted. Turn and repeat for other side.
Remove and cover with pepperoni, sliced mozzarella, a few chopped onions, and sprinkle with garlic salt and pepper. Return to broiler until cheese is melted.
Remove and cover with sliced tomatoes sprinkle on basil, as well as the Italian and Parmesan cheese.  Return under broiler till tomatoes slightly cooked and cheese melted.

As a tip, I use parchment paper like it is going out of style!  It makes for much easier cleanup AND a crispier finished product.  I have taken the Bruschetta to several parties and it is gone in a snap!!
 
 Hope you enjoy some of these!

No comments :

Post a Comment