Thursday, June 30, 2011

Lilli becomes a Big Girl!

Last week at this time I was full of anxiety.  We had just received word that Lilli's "Big Girl" furniture had arrived and was ready to be picked up.  We ordered it a month ago and ever since then I have been dreading the switch.  If any kid LOVES her crib, it is mine.  She sleeps like an angel and I hated to fix something that wasn't broken.  But, since Baby Pumpkin is coming to town, we needed that crib!

We were pleasantly surprised to find this after the first night -
Her room is not "done" but I will share pictures soon when it is complete!
We actually had to wake her to go to church that morning!  She had taken an almost 3 hour nap in it the afternoon before, but I attributed that to her being worn out from staying the night at Nana & PawPaw's house.  However - since that day she has slept BETTER than ever.  I didn't even think that was possible.  She adores her bed.  She climbs up in it and asks for a prayer for bedtime.  It is a precious thing!  The big transition of a big girl bed went flawlessly - I should have never worried about it!

Potty Training Bootcamp
A few friends of mine have done this "3 Day Potty Training" with great success.  I had planned on trying it all summer, and wrote it on my calendar for June 26.  Well, we didn't know the bed would come RIGHT before that, so I worried about doing too much at one time.  However, after the smooth transition we decided to go ahead and attempt it. 

Day One - I got out the panties after Lilli woke up- because all the diapers were gone! (Really I kept them but she doesn't know where.) She didn't make a big fuss at first, but pretty soon had some accidents while playing.  The goal of the program is to catch her in the act and rush her to the potty.  I did (many times) and by noon on that first day she had figured out that if even a DROP of pee landed in the toilet she got a "hemahem" (M&M). For the rest of the afternoon she was peeing in the potty.  Unfortunately, she wasn't quick enough and was still wetting her panties - but I kept it up with the treats and positive reinforcement.  She had a VERY wet nap (because I was practically pouring liquids down her!) but ended up with only one wet incident at night.  Jason worked late this night and I think I started to go delusional by the time he got home and got her to bed at 10:30.  I smelled like pee and was exhausted!

Day Two - Lilli has figured out the M&Ms but I needed something to motivate her even more.  Thankfully I found some animal stickers in a cabinet and told her she had to pee in the potty AND keep her panties dry to get one.  We didn't have much luck with it until that evening after Jason got home.  Something just clicked - and she figured it out!  She loved getting those stickers and we made over her so much she loved the attention!  She went perfectly 3 times in a row that night - and when we went to bed I felt pretty confident she was catching on!  Having Jason home earlier was a key to her success, I think - she wanted to impress him!

Day Three - Lilli woke up DRY in her bed!  I have no idea how she held it, because she also didn't pee at the house all morning.  We went to the pool (Nana, L and I) and she held it at Subway, in the car, etc.  She did wear a swim diaper but she didn't pee again until she took her nap when we returned home around 3:30.  After that we headed to church and she stayed dry until we got home!  She had an accident (I think because I was outside watering flowers and I didn't get to her quickly enough) but she also had several successes! 

Day Four - We finally had some success with #2!  She went twice in a row and earned THREE stickers for that.  I was so proud of her.  We have had an accident or two today, but also several successes.  I think she is really getting it.  She took a shorter nap - woke up crying, but dry.  I took her to the potty and she went!  I tried to get her back to sleep but she was too fussy, which made me think she might have had a "night terror" that she has sometimes.  Nana was here and she had a couple accidents which is to be expected with someone new.


As for me, I am WORN OUT.  I have to stay by her side at all times so I can be ready to run and take her to the potty.  This also includes crouching down on the ground to listen for something to come out - and my thighs are getting a work out!  It has been lots of cleaning, lots of laundry and bed making, lots of panty changing (over 20 the first day!)...but I think this is the best way to do it, if at all possible.  I am thankful to be off in the summer with her and able to devote the time to this.  Otherwise we would have 2 in diapers and I am not ready for that!!


I posted a couple days ago about the Chicken Fajita Pizza that I was making - and Jason LOVED it. He said I could make it any day of the week...hehe.  I also very much enjoyed it!

Tonight I am making something new, I'll come back and share the recipe if we like it.

No comments :

Post a Comment