Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Baby Pumpkin!

It really is true that the 2nd (and 3rd, 4th, etc) do not get the same treatment from the get go.  Poor baby is already 20 weeks old and I am just NOW doing an update about him/her!

We found out on February 8 that I was pregnant with our 2nd child.  I am a charter - so I knew when to expect my period and when I could test.  I tested early and was excited to see the faint lines!  I was out that day for snow but I managed to drive to the Dollar Store for a test AND to the Doctor for a blood test without anyone knowing!  I told J as soon as he got home - but we waited until about 7/8 weeks to tell everyone.  I wanted to tell the world, but also keep it our little secret as long as possible!

Unlike my previous pregnancies, they only did one round of bloodwork and said they would see me in about a month.  The wait was tough, but since I was already so sick I knew everything was going well!  The morning/night/all day sickness started exactly at 6 weeks and was pretty rough until about 14-15 weeks.  I did have one hospital stay for dehydration, but otherwise I am managing with a coctail of B6, Unisom, and Dramamine.  Other than being weak/groggy because of all the meds (and consistent low blood pressure) I am feeling good most days.  I have even tapered off the meds with some success.

Here are some stats from my appointments -
1st time to hear heartbeat - it was 167
2nd time (around 8 weeks, while in hospital) it was 174
3rd time (12 weeks 4 days) it was 164
4th time (at big ultrasound) it was 147
Here is a picture, same that I posted last week (and I don't know why it is upright but I can't get it to turn)


Ultrasound
We have had 3.  Last appointment was the "growth and development" ultrasound.  We were excited to see that the baby is growing perfectly!  They could see all chambers of the heart, all the parts of the brain, etc.  I don't know exactly how big the baby is, but based on the measurements on the screen it looked like Pumpkin was measuring ahead with long bones - so maybe tall like Big Sis??  The baby is currently breech (head up, feet down) like Lilli was, apparently my babies find a good spot and stick with it.  Lilli turned before our u/s at 30 weeks so hopefully this one will do the same.  In fact, I had a dream 2 nights ago that I felt the baby turning correctly - so we shall see!

Gender
We chose NOT to find out the sex of the baby.  It was HARD!  The ultrasound tech was more nervous that us, I believe.  She was afraid she would see it and give it away later.  However - she was great and said later she wasn't even sure if she knew the gender since she didn't investigate. So the surprise is still on!  I go back and forth - some days I feel it is a boy, others I swear it is a girl.  We really don't have names settled for either so it will all be a surprise when the birth day arrives! 

Weight-
So far I have gained about 11 lbs, which is 12 more than I had at this point with Lilli.  However, with her I was still sick until about 26 weeks or so, so that is to blame.  I ended up gaining 49 lbs with her in those last 13 weeks - eek!  So much was water but with a hot summer coming up I can only imagine it will be worse!  The swelling hasn't started but I know it is coming!

Movement-
I swore I felt flutters around 14 weeks.  I felt strong kicks around 18 weeks.  Just last Friday (on our anniversary) Jason felt the baby kick from the outside!  Such a special moment!!  I didn't feel Lilli until about 22 weeks, so this is a nice change!  Now I feel low kicks all the time and I LOVE them!  Baby is quite active!

Cravings-
I am loving fresh fruits and vegetables.  Not enjoying grilled chicken or ground beef as much as I do when not pregnant.  I was wanting red meat (which I rarely eat) for a few weeks but I think that has passed.  I don't crave anything long term - but when I get something in my head I HAVE to have it or it won't go away.   Last week it was this - A "brownie earthquake" from Dairy Queen. It was HEAVEN.


Today it is this -
Subway Chipotle Chicken and Cheese Melt.  I had it yesterday and it was so yummy I want another!  It is the "5 Dollar Footlong" for June - so next time I am getting the big one! :o)

Belly-
The belly is definitely growing!  I love having a belly at this stage of the pregnancy.  After about 32 weeks I am miserable...so I am enjoing the look of it this summer!  In general I feel prettier while pregnant (at least in the mirror - for some reason my pictures look not so great so I must be delusional!)
This was my first belly shot, taken at 20 weeks on Sunday-
My ankles are NOT swollen - I have permanent cankles.  It is unfortunate.

Jason-
Jason is, as usual, treating me like a queen.  I get foot rubs after a long day and back scratches when needed.  He constantly tells me to go sit (even though I feel like that's all I do some days) and does most of the chores.  He is an amazing Daddy and so excited about Baby Pumpkin.  We talk about the baby and both seem amazed that it is happening - and quickly!  Sometimes I think we are in denial since we don't know the gender and don't have a name or a nursery or anything concrete yet.  But the belly is so undeniable we have that constant reminder!

Lillian-
I am still not sure she knows what is going on.  Just last week I bought some baby clothes and she has loved playing with those, but has no idea an actual BABY will be in them soon!  It is going to rock her world.  I worry that she will be jealous - and I know she will at times, but I just hope she enjoys having a baby sibling.  I hate changing her routine and her life - especially when I think about how spoiled she is (only child and grandchild) but hopefully she will forgive us someday! ;o)  She has recently started saying the baby is a boy...but that changes and will change again, I'm sure!


Well, I guess that is all I can think of for now!  I will try to update again in about a month and keep that up, now that things are changing more.  Hard to believe we are already half way to meeting our little one!!

1 comment :

  1. i will give lil tips on being the older sibling...and how we really are the favorites and the most awesome.

    ReplyDelete