Monday, December 12, 2011

Sisters

I have been meaning to get on here and update about Lilli and her reaction to Scarlett, but time slips away with 2 little ones!

We were nervous about how she would accept a new baby in the family, since she is only 2.5 years old and you just never know how a toddler will react.  However, we have been very pleasantly surprised!
   The day that Scarlett was born was a long one for Lilli - but she was a trooper!  She did so well, despite missing a nap and being stuck in a hospital for several hours.  When the time came for Lilli to meet Scarlett she wasn't sure about her - and we didn't force it.  She examined her but really didn't take too much interest. She was spending several nights with Nana and PawPaw and was distracted/excited about that.
When we brought the baby home, Lilli did great.  She thought all the visitors were there to see HER (because that's what we told her!) and she didn't really notice Scarlett much.  When she did, she was always very gentle around her
"It's ok Scarwett, Lilli is here"
She wanted to share her snacks-


Finally, when S was about a week old, Lilli told us she wanted to hold her.  It was a precious moment and one that I am glad I didn't force at the hospital when we were all exhausted!

 She loves to tell us that Scarlett is "so cute" and "she's so pretty Mommy" which melts me!



A few days later we put Lilli and her together on the floor and heard Scarlett "coo" for the first time!




Again, so gentle!



Since those first few weeks, things have been just wonderful.  I can honestly say that Lilli has never seemed to be jealous or envious of Scarlett and the attention she is getting.  She really loves her baby sister!

Some things that make me smile that I don't want to forget-
She will go get diapers and wipes for me when I ask her
She will tell me that "Scarwett is crying and wants her 'Mommy milk'"
She loves to give S her pacifier but doesn't try to shove it in her mouth, she just lays it near her
She shares her toys, even B and Melmo, her most prized possessions!

She wants to help us give her a bath

She asks to hold her and then tells us when she is finished

She loves to ask if Scarlett is awake and if she can see her. If she is asleep Lilli tells me "I tip toe around her!"

She kisses her so sweetly


Since this is about sisters, here is my own, holding her new niece
One of my concerns was that Lilli might get jealous when my parents or sister held Scarlett.  But so far, she just seems proud!  I think we all try to give Lilli extra attention and that has helped.


Jason loves his daughters and seeing their relationship bloom.  He is smitten! 
Most people probably assume we wanted a boy, but that was never the case.  We were honestly excited just to have another baby, and we did not care what the gender was.  That was one reason we didn't find out the sex during pregnancy.  Now I cannot imagine our family any other way!
How do people make it through life without a sister? ~Sara Corpening

1 comment :

  1. LOVE it!

    On that note, I am SO glad my girls have each other. It's so wonderful; I never knew what it was like to have a sister.

    ReplyDelete