Tuesday, February 17, 2015

{The Entry} before and after

I have been waiting to post this for over a year.  Why?  Well I wanted the space to be FINISHED.  Done.  Ready to show.  Well, that's never gonna happen.  Not with 2 kids and 3 dogs and 3 cats and a new (old) horse.  So I'll just go ahead and show you what we did and you can pretend it's ready!

When we bought the house here is what it looked like when you walked in.  I wish I had a better "before" shot but it is all I can find. 

We knew we wanted a two story entry way with pretty stairs in our DREAM home...but this was not it.  It was a 1 story entry with rickety honey oak stairs that honestly felt like they would give way at any moment.  Not what you want with 2 small children.  So we called out some contractors and asked what we could do.  Since we had to fix the stairs anyway, could we just go ahead and open it up to make it a two story entryway?  The upstairs had a "landing" of sorts with no usable space, so we were fine to lose that. I wish I had a picture of it but imagine a carpeted spot that leads to no where.

When you first walk in the door and look up, Lilli's huge closet is right above you.  If we wanted a TRUE two story entry, we would lose that.  So working with the contractor we compromised...we left her closet but opened up behind it.

First we had to rip up the REAL hardwoods.  Hurt.my.heart.  This was the only place in the entire house that had real wood...and they were covered up with laminate.  But we couldn't make it work with the rest of the wood we wanted to put in the house.  So out it went...

Nothing says kid-friendly like this!


We had to hire a carpenter to come in and take the stairs apart and re-do all of the railings.  It was not an easy job but he was very skilled and worth every penny.  If you are local and need his name, message me.
Notice he left about every third stair there so we can get up and down.  THAT was fun...not.

The landing was to the right of this - we just didn't need it or want it.

No more landing now!



Scarlett's room is on the top left, their bathroom is on right


We kept that hall closet and added a light.
 Time for drywall and stairs...


Fresh coat of paint (Benjamin Moore Cabot Trail, my favorite neutral) and picture molding...


My mom, in all her genius staining ability that I do not have, stripped and stained the banisters.  Together we painted the spindles and toe kicks (because that involved spray paint and I can manage that!).  We were able to use some of what we had but we did have to buy some new spindles to fill in.  My mom matched the stain to our new hardwoods on the steps.  I could have never done it but she is the master.  No lie.

Around this time we moved in so I don't have any more "in progress" pics - just some finished stairs!



The ceiling light is original and we plan to replace it...it needs to be a bit bigger for the space.



Room on left is Lilli's room, on the right is Scarlett's.  I don't have anything on this table because Scarlett will destroy it. 

You can see here where Lilli's closet is.  We didn't want to lose that valuable space!


Without the landing - I need to decorate this wall...

Painted the front door black.

I bought these frames in a pack at Michaels - these are 5x5 Instagram prints. Super easy way to fill up wall space!

I made this using these keys that I found out in the shop when we moved in.  I have no idea what they unlock...

There are two sets of French doors that lead to the dining room and formal living room - but neither of those rooms are furnished (or shared on the blog!)



Well friends, there ya go.  It only took me about 4 hours to post this...which is why I post so rarely these days!





No comments :

Post a Comment