Thursday, February 19, 2015

{Mudroom & Guest Bath} before and after

As I said in the post about the den, half the house was done in wood trim, wood paneling with dark peel and stick laminate "tile."  It looked completely different from what we wanted so it all got an update!

The mudroom is a place that gets used and abused.  I knew I wanted to make it brighter but I also knew it needed to be easily cleaned.  I found a new paint by Benjamin Moore called "Advance" and thought it would do the trick.  It paints over wood like an oil based paint but cleans up with soap and water.  And it wipes down easily because it has a gloss feel.  I used plain white off the shelf (although you can tint it to any color.) This is what I used on all the trim in the house.

It should be noted that my mother painted EVERY inch of this house.  Ceilings, trim, walls, etc. Over 3000 square feet.  God bless her.

Here is the mudroom when we bought the house-


We painted the cabinets with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint (just like we did our kitchen cabinets that I blogged about)  and painted all the rest with the white.


Jason made the cork boards for me - and I painted them with the same chalk paint. The rug came from Urban Outfitters and the shoe cubby came from Amazon


No fancy washer and dryer here - but these were FREE from my Aunt and Uncle and have served us well for about 10 years! 

The red door leads to the garage. If you are building a house, a mudroom should be non-negotiable!


Next to the mudroom is the guest bathroom.  It is a full bath with a hand held shower - something that comes in handy when it is time to give the golden retrievers a bath!  It looked very similar with all the wood, in fact I don't even have a before photo.  Just imagine the darkest bathroom you've ever seen. This is the only room in the house that doesn't have a window and it was covered in dark brown wall paper.

Everything in here came from TJ Maxx - rugs, shower curtain, hand towels.
This closet has an opening for the laundry chute upstairs.

The shower had a sliding glass door and I DESPISE those so I took it off and added a curtain rod. 

The sink and mirror were updated and came from previous owners

I don't know the paint color of these rooms, but they are the same.  The tile is neutral and came from a discount store in Clarksville.  I think we paid 40 cents a sq/ft for it - super cheap!  We have it in every bathroom in the house.


No comments :

Post a Comment